The Queen's Medical Center - Women's Health Center
The Queen's Hospital (now Queen's Medical Center), was founded in 1859 by Queen Emma and King Kamehameha IV. In a speech to the legislature in 1854, the King voiced his desire to create a hospital for the people of Hawaii. At the time, native Hawaiians were seriously affected by the influx of disease brought to the islands by foreign visitors. Queen Emma enthusiastically supported the wish of her husband, and the two went door-to-door, personally soliciting the funds needed to make their dream a reality. Within a month, the royal couple had raised enough money to open the hospital in which the Hawaiian people were of great need. For six generations, The Queen’s Medical Center has played an integral role in the health and well-being of residents in the Aloha State.
"We are fortunate to have the opportunity to receive funding from NBCF. The funding will allow us to reach and serve more women in Hawaii. It is great to have a partner that has a mutual interest in educating women about breast cancer and extending mammogram services to underserved women resulting in lives being saved."
Gerard Akaka, M.D., Vice President, Medical Affairs and Chief Medical Officer
1301 Punchbowl Street
Honolulu, HI 96813