University Breast Health Center
In 1818, Augusta’s first city hospital began on the 100 block of Green Street. It was the result of a few local residents’ desire to care for the sick and poor. The hospital provided the city’s physicians an opportunity for medical education, and in 1829, became the first home of the Medical College of Georgia. It was named “University” less than a century later in recognition of the ongoing clinical association with the medical college.
Today, University Hospital continues its original commission to serve the poor and underserved. Through a partnership with the National Breast Cancer Foundation, the hospital’s Breast Health Center is able to provide free mammograms to women in need through its Mobile Mammography Unit. Equipped with state-of-the-art technology, the unit takes breast health services to working women at business and industrial sites, community and church groups throughout the area.
"We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the financial support provided for free mammograms for uninsured patients. Through this fund patients are able to have their annual screening mammogram on our mobile mammography unit. These are patients who otherwise would not have the financial resources to have their annual mammograms."
Randy Cooper, M.D., Medical Director, Breast Health Center
818 St. Sebastian Way, Suite 205
Augusta, Georgia 30901