October 15, 2010 – Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) announced today the launch of a multi-media marketing campaign for the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.(NBCF) that will run throughout October, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. NBCF’s campaign is designed to raise awareness for the early detection of breast cancer.
The campaign will engage a wide range of audiences across Gannett’s extensive multi-media network – from local broadcast stations and web sites to national brands including USA TODAY and USA WEEKEND, as well as digital sites such as USATODAY.com, MomsLikeMe.com and HighSchoolSports.net.
“We are very excited about our breast cancer awareness campaign with Gannett,” said NBCF Founder & CEO Janelle Hail. “With this particular campaign, Gannett is leading the charge to encourage women across the country to create an Early Detection Plan. We believe its powerful brands and trusted content will inspire women to act, and this action may save their lives. Gannett is an innovative industry leader and we are grateful for their support.”
“The National Breast Cancer Foundation’s life-saving mission to raise awareness about early detection and the prevention of breast cancer is so important,” said Gracia Martore, Gannett’s president, chief operating officer and chief financial officer. “We’re helping them take this message to people across the country through an integrated campaign utilizing our vast portfolio of broadcast, print and digital products.”
The NBCF’s Early Detection awareness campaign includes the following components:
- Digital home page ads, created by Gannett’s PointRoll, the leading provider of digital marketing solutions, on USATODAY.com and seven Gannett Broadcast sites with interactive ads allowing audiences to directly register for the NBCF Early Detection Plan®;
- Targeted ad placements alongside USA TODAY’s new special health section, “Your Life”;
- High-impact messaging in USA WEEKEND;
- HighSchoolSports.net, Gannett’s hyperlocal online sports authority, will feature a fundraising drive with a donation scoreboard that tracks donations among all network high schools;
- On-air campaign across seven Gannett television stations, driving audiences to register for the NBCF Early Detection Plan online;
- A custom digital video produced by Gannett Video Enterprises designed to remind viewers to think about the impact of breast cancer;
- A continuing education initiative for nurses sponsored by Kaplan University and promoted via Gannett Healthcare Group’s platforms, including nurse.com, Nursing Spectrum and NurseWeek magazines and CE Direct.
In addition, Gannett will join NBCF and nationwide breast cancer awareness efforts by turning the towers of its corporate headquarters pink. The pink lights will be prominently featured every night on the exterior of the company’s McLean, VA, headquarters buildings throughout National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The color pink is used to signify hope and build awareness for those affected by breast cancer as the search for a cure continues.
The mission of NBCF, a charitable non-profit based in Frisco, Texas, is to save lives through education and by providing mammograms to those in need.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an international news and information company operating on multiple platforms including the Internet, mobile, newspapers, magazines and TV stations. Gannett is an Internet leader with hundreds of newspaper and TV web sites; CareerBuilder.com, the nation’s top employment site; USATODAY.com; and more than 80 local MomsLikeMe.com sites. Gannett publishes 82 daily U.S. newspapers, including USA TODAY, the nation’s largest-selling daily newspaper, and more than 600 magazines and other non-dailies including USA WEEKEND. Gannett also operates 23 television stations in 19 U.S. markets. Gannett subsidiary Newsquest is one of the UK’s leading regional community news providers, with 17 daily paid-for titles, more than 200 weekly newspapers, magazines and trade publications, and a network of web sites.
Vice President of Corporate Communications, Gannett Co., Inc.
Director, Investor Relations, Gannett Co., Inc.